Text-Only Website

#8 CSM takes two-time defending National Champion, #1 Grand Valley State down to the wire falling in a penalty kick shootout

#8 CSM takes two-time defending National Champion, #1 Grand Valley State  down to the wire falling in a penalty kick shootout

GOLDEN, Colo. – The eighth-ranked Colorado School of Mines women's soccer team laid it all on the line taking the two-time defending National Champion, #1 ranked Grand Valley State to a penalty kick shootout on Sunday afternoon at the CSM Soccer Stadium.

Mines looked dangerous early testing GVSU goalkeeper Chelsea Parise. Dani Hering chipped a shot from 20 yards out in the 10th minute that Parise just tipped over the cross bar.

Anna Evans missed just high of the goal in the 31st minute from 15 yards out while Erin Onat shot from 30 yards out caught Parise off line and she tipped her shot over in the 40th minute.

CSM tallied six shots in the first half while the Lakers recorded none after finishing with 20 shots in their win over Northern Kentucky on Friday.

GVSU recorded its first shot of the match in the 58th minute as Ashley Botts got behind the CSM defense one-on-one with Penny Rogers. Botts tried to go far post but missed wide left as Rogers came off her line. Kayla Addison put the Lakers first shot in the target in the 61st minute.

Evans beat the GVSU defense again this time in the 80th minute dribbling into the box on the right side and hitting a shot far post that went just wide.

Neither team saw much action in the first overtime period but both teams had some chances in the second overtime period. Addison hit the post from close in the in the 102nd minute for Grand Valley State and then missed high in the 103rd minute as she tried to chip Rogers coming out to make the stop.

Hering hit a long range shot from outside the box just high in the 104th minute and Onat the same in the 106th minute but neither team found the game-winner as it went to penalty kicks.

Mines went first in the shootout and Megan Woodworth hit the post. Addison was up first for GVSU, Rogers guessed right and Addison's shot hit off the post bouncing off Rogers and into the goal.

Kelsey Neal converted to make it 1-1. Kayla Kimble put her shot in the upper right hand corner giving the Lakers a 2-1 lead. Again Mines was denied as Evans' shot hit the cross bar.

Charlie Socia converted to make it 3-1 in favor of the Lakers and Bree Archuleta converted making it 3-2. Erin Mruz took the final shot for Grand Valley State and finished giving the Lakers the 4-2 win in the shootout.
The game goes down as a tie for Mines as the squad earns the shutout. It marks the first time Grand Valley State has been shutout in two years. The Lakers were shutout on this very day two years ago against Northern Kentucky in 2009.

The 8th-ranked Orediggers finish the season 17-2-4 overall shutting out their last four opponents, advancing to the Elite Eight and claiming the Central Region Championship for the second time in the last three seasons while winning the team's first ever RMAC Tournament title.


View: Mobile | Desktop